Let's talk about your pest problem. Call Beaver Pest Control London on 0208 355 3443
Fast and effective rat control for London & the South East
Rat control is very important. An infestation of rats can result in considerable damage, such as gnawing through packaged goods and structures or even electrical wiring. Contamination of food and the spread of disease by rodents should be of considerable concern to everyone. Some diseases are potentially fatal such as Weil’s disease and salmonellosis (food poisoning).
HOW TO GET RID OF RATS
Our helpful, friendly teams are here to help you at each step of your journey to a pest free home.
How do I know if I have a rat problem?
If you think you’ve spotted signs of a rat infestation, you’re in the right place. This quick guide to rats will help you determine if it is in fact rats you are dealing with.
There are a number of tell-tale signs that you have rats:
- Droppings: this is by far the most common sign reported by customers. Rat faeces are dark and pellet shaped roughly the size of a long grain of rice. These tend to be clustered in certain areas, as rats often use same spot for their toilet needs and can leave up to 40 droppings in one night.
- Gnawing : one of the most dangerous signs of rats is gnaw marks, rats have been known to gnaw through steel pipes and commonly gnaw on electrical cables and supports in the home leading to fire hazards.
- Footprints and tail marks: less obvious in cleaner areas but if you have dust accumulating under your kitchen units, this is often a good place to find footprints left behind.
- Smear Marks: rats tend use the walls and junctions to get around, however, they leave behind a greasy residue from their fur of built up dirt. The more often they use the same runs, the residue will transfer to the walls and leave behind brown/black marks. We call these smear marks.
Rat control in London and the rest of the UK is primarily for the brown rat or sewer rat. These rodents are omnivores. The adult weighs up to 700 grams and has a total length, including the tail, of around 400mm. A brown rat can squeeze through a gap of only 25mm and often enters buildings via broken drains, hence the name sewer rat. This large rodent may also enter via damaged walls, subterranean conduits, broken vents or holes around pipes.
Brown rats are only pregnant for three weeks and can have six to ten babies in a litter resulting in a rat infestation building up very quickly. The gestation period for both rats and mice is only three weeks and the female is able to conceive again immediately. It is therefore very important to employ a professional rat control company such as Beaver Pest Control London.
The brown rat is wary of any changes to the environment, called neophobia. Successful rat treatments can therefore be difficult because the rodents may not eat the rat poison or enter a rat trap. Beaver Pest Control London offer set prices for private house rat control and a free survey for business properties.
At Beaver we practice Integrated Pest Management (IPM). This is a sustainable approach to managing pests by combining biological, cultural, physical and chemical tools in a way that minimises economic, health, and environmental risks.
We follow the following 5 steps:
- Inspection – In line with the CRRU guidance, ensuring a through survey is carried out is essential. This will be a full environmental assessment identifying: pest infestations, access points, sources of food, water & harbourage, proofing options, and any external factors which could result in pest infestations i.e overgrown vegetation.
- Exclusion – proofing is carried out where possible by our technicians, any larger proofing jobs need will be identified and explained to the customer. Proofing is the best defence against rodent ingress.
- Restriction – Restricting the sources of food, water and harbourage will make your home less appealing for pests and can be an effective way to prevent re-infestation.
- Destruction – This is what is says, destroying pests that do manage to find their way into your home. Destruction does not necessarily mean baits though, the CRRU risk hierarchy will be used to identify the least harmful way to go about this.
- Communicate – Communication is perhaps one of the most important parts of the process as a whole. At every stage of this process our technicians will be communicating their actions and importantly the reasons for their actions for you. Explaining the importance of exclusion and restriction will in the long term benefit you as you will reduce the risk of repeated infestations. It is very important that the recommendations the technicians provide are followed to support you in having a pest-free home.
"Had an issue with rats in the house voids and Beaver Pest Control came and sorted it for me. They are professional, took time to answer my questions and concerns as the engagement took place over several visits. They have all the neccessary kit including quality drain survaying cameras. Scott Demetriou came to do the drain repair that was completed to a high standard. Scott took the time to talk me through what he was doing both before, part way through and after the job was completed and also asked for sign off which I had no hesitation in giving. I highly recommend Beaver Pest Control's team of professionals, if you are ever in need of pest control services. Excellent work, thanks!"
"Fantastic experience with Beaver Pest Control. We found a rat in our property and they attended the next day. Their technician Tyrelle identified the issues that needed resolving and went above and beyond in advising us how best to proceed. The follow up was also very good. We were very impressed by the service and would highly recommend."
Absolutely not. We provide an individualised service for each client and their pest problem. Our pest treatments will be tailored to your needs!
We have designed our services to reduce the amount of poison. So we focus on prevention and proofing. Our technicians will give you advice on removing things which attract rodents.
Domestically we cover London and the South-East. We offer national coverage for commercial customers.
If you have any traps or poison down from treating yourself, please ensure this is all removed prior to the technician arriving.
No, whilst they are both in the rodent family, rats and mice are different and have different behaviour so it’s important to identify the correct pest to ensure the most effective treatment is used.
Payment is taken upon booking of the job with our customer service team. We accept all major credit cards with the exception of American Express.
Using a professional company is the quickest and most effective way to get rid of rats. The training given to professional technicians is not just about how to treat pests but, more importantly, how to do it safely, so no harm comes to other animals, including pets and other wildlife such as hedgehogs and birds.
Read Our Latest rat control BLOGS
Scenario – You have an on-going rat problem and your pest controller has advised you …